Junior secondary FAQs


Below are responses to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

Will my child be safe in high school?

Our school’s TEAM core values (PDF, 110 KB) underpin the quality education on offer at Chinchilla State High School. The safety of our students is paramount and particular attention has been given to the introduction of our younger students within our inclusive practices. Our school also started its implementation of the Positive Behaviour for Learning (PBL) program in early 2014; which forms the basis of our positive approach to wellbeing and behaviour.

When may I enrol my child?

The School is seeking expressions of interest from parents on their intentions to enrol their child/children at our school.  This can be done immediately by contacting the School Administration Office on 46729333 and placing your child/children on an enrolment list.  This list does not complete your child’s enrolment.

In Term 4, Enrolment Packs will be provided which include the Student code of conduct (PDF, 879 KB), Parents and Citizens’ (P&C) Association letter and membership form and application for student enrolment form.

All students and parents/guardians are required to attend an enrolment meeting. Attendance at one of these meetings is strongly recommended and preferred.  If this is not possible, an individual enrolment interview must be undertaken. This would need to occur before the students’ orientation day.  Students are not able to start High School until they have been officially enrolled.

^Top of page

What subjects will my child study?

At our school students will study all subjects in accordance with the Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority. In Years 7 and 8 these will include ‘core’ subjects: Mathematics, English, Science, History, Geography, Language (Japanese), Health & Physical Education, in addition to core numeracy and literacy lessons. The Year 7 curriculum will be complemented with the inclusion of specialist subjects, with a number of units included from the areas of Technology and the Arts.

^Top of page

Students will be required to wear the Chinchilla State High School uniform (PDF, 667 KB). The School bucket hat, which may be purchased from the tuckshop, and black leather shoes are compulsory.

^Top of page

What textbooks and subject resources will my child require?

Chinchilla State High School offers parents the option of participating in the Student Resource Scheme.  By participating in a scheme like this the parents do not need to purchase textbooks/resources. Parents are required to pay an annual levy and sign a participation agreement.  Parents who choose not to participate in the scheme would be required to purchase the resources themselves.

The school offers a range of payment options, including payment plans or Centrelink deductions.  Parents can nominate a fortnightly amount and this is credited to the school account until the fees are fully paid.

Students are issued with a stationery list as part of the Student Resource Scheme Information Pack in Term 4, detailing what stationery requirements they need to supply.

Students will have their textbooks and other resources distributed through their classroom teachers during their first lessons.

Hostel accommodation

A student hostel called Leichhardt House Student Hostel exists in Chinchilla. It provides accommodation for students who are living away from home. It accommodates up to 36 students and attracts the usual state and federal grants such as the Living Away from Home and Conveyance allowance. Prospective users of the hostel should contact Leichhardt House for further details. Bookings may be made, up to six years in advance. Early bookings are important.

^Top of page

Is there a camp for Year 7 students?

Chinchilla State High School strongly values the benefits of a camp for our new students. Students are strongly encouraged to attend the Year 7 camp which will be held at Mudjimba Apex Camp early in Term 1.

Does the school have a tuckshop?

The Parents and Citizens' Association runs the school tuckshop which provides a wide range of healthy morning tea and lunch options every day. All profits go to the Parents and Citizens' Association to benefit the school.

^Top of page

What extra-curricular options are on offer at Chinchilla State High School?

There is a diverse array of extra-curricular opportunities that your student may access from Year 7, such as Instrumental Music, Interact Club, school musicals, Personality Quest Ball, Dance Troupe, Choir, public speaking competitions, art gallery exhibitions, after-school Maths, English and Science tutoring, Chaplaincy School Holiday Program and access to trade and tertiary expos.

Students also have a range of sporting opportunities available either at a school or representative level, such as South West and Darling Downs sport. The school Swimming Carnival will be held in the first few weeks of Term 1, Cross Country in Term 2 and the Athletics Carnival in Term 3. All such events are mandatory for student participation. Lunch time inter-year and inter-house sporting competitions are also a frequent event, in addition to ‘Boredom Buster’ activities run by the Chaplain, School Nurse and Student Welfare Committee.

Who is the Form Class/Pastoral Care teacher? What other teachers will my child have?

The Form Class and Pastoral Care teacher for each Year 7 class is the person who has the students for roll marking each morning, a Pastoral Care lesson once per week, and teaches the students for a combination of at least two subjects in their own ‘home’ classroom. This teacher will have a partner who will also teach your child for at least two other subjects in order to minimise the number of different teachers for students. The form class teacher is your first point of contact for most issues or concerns regarding your child.

^Top of page

Will there be a Year 7 Coordinator?

Each year level has a Coordinator who monitors student progress and welfare and implements appropriate strategies to assist students with any concerns or problems that may occur. These may include issues related to behaviour, absence, or difficulties of an academic or personal nature. The Year Level Coordinator also oversees the Pastoral Care Program fro that year level.

^Top of page

Last reviewed 08 March 2021
Last updated 08 March 2021